HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 27 Jun 2009 21:41:06 -0500
Richard,

There are some similar Indian copper coins (purportedly Mauryan Empire
punch-mark types ... which would be considerably older, possibly by 5 or 6
centuries, than the molded type Tim shows ... if, in fact, Tim's is actually
a genuine coin) being offered on eBay here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/India-Bronze-Punchmark-Mauryan-Empire-ancient-coin_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trkparmsZalgoQ3dSICQ26itsQ3dIQ252BCQ26ituQ3dFICSQ252BUFIQ252BUAQ252BIAQ252BUCIQ26otnQ3d14Q26poQ3dLVIQ26psQ3d54QQ_trksidZp3907Q2em263QQcategoryZ4737QQitemZ370167825087QQsalenotsupported

The eBay examples also show suspiciously little corrosion ... which would
jive if: (1) neither Tim's nor these have ever been buried or handled too
much in the past 2,000+ years (highly unlikely) ... or (2) they have been
cleaned and polished (possible for the eBay examples, but unlikely for an
genuine archaeologically recovered specimen) ... OR (3) if they both are
FAKES !

After looking through about 10,000 images of coins from southern India from
ca. 1500-2,500 years ago, and not finding any examples even remotely like
that one Tim has, I'm beginning to think maybe Tim's could possibly be a
spurious hoax (a plant of recent manufacture). As you point-out, there's
certainly cause enough (by the fact of the absolute dearth of any corrosion,
alone) to be mighty suspicious ... and even more so, if Tim (or another
archaeologist) didn't actually recover the item, or witness it being
recovered. I've had experience with some mighty sneaky metal-detectorists,
before, who enjoyed nothing more than trying to pull the wool over unwary
archaeologists' eyes.

~ Bob Skiles