ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
John Bowditch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 10:58:01 -0400

Hi Jonah,

I agree, as far as it goes. The question is how much glitz do you need
to get there? Does the movie screen have to be 70 feet tall and wide to
get the point across? I'm a great believer in "I-Min" where the
resources required are much smaller, etc. I also think that maybe there
are subjects that simply fall outside the scope of what we do. There are
so many things we can show that are accessible in our environment why go
for things that can't adequately be shown?

I'm just a bit conservative, I guess. I think a lot of money is being
spent to try to do things that don't work all that well anyway. And then
there's the matter of commercial factors rearing their heads. Very few
museums can afford to make their own appropriate films and so they rent
stuff instead. This leads to inappropriate films being shown just to
fill the seats.

John Bowditch
Exhibits Director
Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum