ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Wendy Pollock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Jul 2007 11:14:25 -0400

Wendy - This is a great question, and one we've been thinking about as
ExhibitFiles has begun to develop. There isn't an easy way to draw directly
from the listserv, so for right now, we are hoping that list members will be
encouraged to sign up on ExhibitFiles too and post some of these wonderful
anecdotes -- and images to go along with them. It's a different, though
complementary, medium at the moment -- a place where we also can share
photos, floorplans, other files, and where others can comment. (If you don't
have a photo of this display at CosmoCaixa, maybe they'll let you have one
-- or maybe someone else on the list has one to share? I hope you'll post
this recollection!) For others who haven't yet joined, go to
ExhibitFiles.org to check it out. - Wendy Pollock, ASTC

*

Hi Everyone, and especially to the ExhibitFiles folks,

Just thinking about fact that the readers and writers of this list not only
have topics or threads which fascinate them, but decades worth of examples
that jingle a little bell in the crowded dusty halls of memory, whenever a
new thread gets started.

Could/should ExhibitFiles.org have an ability to follow threads from this
list and be a cache point for these examples? For instance:  my favorite
"metaphor of rainforest" ever displayed was at CosmoCaixa Barcelona, where
the entire foyer wall was lined with leaves. Every single leaf fallen on a
random ten cubic meters in the Amazon ... hundreds of them. The simplicity
of displaying the diversity, volume and beauty of this "collection" was
science museum poetics at its best.

How many thousands of anecdotes do we have to share with one another?

a colleague far from her original home,

Wendy Jo Coones