HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Timothy Scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2008 13:46:19 -0500
Under the philosophy of "better late than never", I wanted to post
this information for everyone not attending the SHA meeting in New
Mexico this week.  The papers for our electronic symposium about the
materials science and the study of ceramic industries during the
formation of the modern world, 1500 to present.  The papers absent
from the website are those by Blackman et al (withdrawn) and mine,
which I will post following the discussion at the meeting.
http://www.ss.mtu.edu/faculty/Scarlett/research/sha08.htm
---
abstract:
In the past 15 years, historical archaeologists have collaborated in
an unprecedented effort to bring the materials scientist's
perspective into discussions of ceramic artifacts.  Collaboration has
brought well-established, "tried-and-true" tools to help expand our
understanding of ceramics in the rise of the modern world.  The
annual meeting provides an opportunity to overview the results of
individual and collaborative research programs, reflecting upon
progress in what we have learned.  What have the material sciences
contributed to our understanding of ceramic and pottery traditions in
different places?  How have the archaeometric efforts related to
larger trends in ceramic analyses?  What have been our successes?
Where are our shortcomings?  What do these trajectories indicate
regarding our future challenges?

At the 41st annual Conference on Historical and Underwater
Archaeology, Members of the Society for Historical Archaeology will
gather to discuss these issues on January 9-12, 2008, in Albuquerque,
New Mexico.  The session was designed as an electronic symposium and
the speakers comments, notes, outlines, and more formal essays will
be posted on-line, along with links to other related on-line
publications.  Several of those papers are on-line at this address:

http://www.ss.mtu.edu/faculty/Scarlett/research/sha08.htm

Timothy Scarlett
Assistant Professor of Archaeology
Department of Social Sciences/AOB 209