HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 9 Jan 2008 13:03:57 EST
What then, is the ethical difference between selling artifacts and dumping
them in a dumpster? Several weeks back, one of our prominent colleagues raised
the question concerning shipwreck sites artifacts and questioned why we
should  want to keep all the artifacts for all times. Going on your theory that
retaining 10% of non-diagnostic artifacts, lets say we have redundant artifacts
like hundreds of buckets of the same gold coins, then I ask what is the
difference between dumping and selling artifacts? And before you fall into the
ethical trap of saying most artifacts have no financial value, think carefully
about our ethics that address placing monetary value over historical
information  value. Which is more important for a gold coin recovered from a site, the
monetary value or the informational value of context and contributing to
science?

And please do not forget that I am only speaking of artifacts that are used
to contribute to interpreting the scientific value of a property. Things found
 in secondary deposits with no known provenience that cannot be used as
evidence  for something like a Section 106 assessment would not be included in this
 discussion.

And finally, just because a State Historic Preservation Officer says
something is ok to do, does not make ok. Those SHPOs sacrifice entire  archaeology
sites for political reasons, making the collections that we do  manage to
recover all the more valuable.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.

In a message dated 1/9/2008 7:26:38 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,