ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jason jay stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 12:41:44 -0500

As a Mac user, I had to giggle a little--because the first thing I
think of is the Cellos voice, and how much fun it is to write silly
lyrics for it to sing to the tune of the Hall of the Mountain King.
Ah yes, who needs hobbies?

Eric, try the IBM text-to-speech interactive
http://www.research.ibm.com/tts/coredemo.shtml

the voices are a little more natural in tone and less apt to
paraphasia than "Agnes" and "Ralph."

I poked around my harddrive a little bit, to see if there are folders
full of phonemes from which Agnes and Ralph can build their voices,
but I can't figure out where Apple hides any of the text-to-speech
stuff.
And it's safe to assume the voices come straight out of computer
code, and are not little .wav file building blocks, as an innocent
mac hacker might hope.

I'm curious what you're up to.  & how it works out.
There are some phonemes that are notoriously difficult to record (the
glottal aspirants, the alveopalatals...) and those that bully their
way to the front row of any vocal recording (the labial stops).

--Jason

__
JasonJayStevens
Jason Jay Stevens Studio