ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jason jay stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Jun 2007 01:01:45 -0500

I'll cast my vote with yours!

There are many reasons to persuade that adaptation in the language,
to the extent we can, but the most pragmantic reason to me is that
Museums and Centers demand different behaviors of their audiences,
and the confusion of terms does a diservice to the public's
expectations.  The most historically significant reason is the
identity crisis true American museums are suffering as they define
their missions.  Significant institutional collections have been moth
balled to make way for fair-style crowd-pleasers.

Science center history can be traced back to the 19th Century Barnum-
style "Museum" attractions, as well as the World's Fair exhibitions,
but they are certainly a different and new species.  They deserve
their own designation as a matter of respect.

All that being said, there are dozens of Science Centers with the
word Museum in their names, and lobbying Congress to legislate more
precision in the names of these institutions seems like a lost cost.

I disagree, however with the assessment that America lacks museums, a
museum being deifined as an organized collection.  The U.S.A. is a
country packed full of crazy collectors.  I'd wager there are museums
tucked in rooms in multiple homes on every block in the nation.

I look forward to information about your paper!

Sorry my email got a little long, there.  I've been thinking a lot
about this stuff lately, too.

--Jason

__
JasonJayStevens