ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jason jay stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jan 2007 08:31:43 -0600

I'm not sure how one quantifies data to arrive at a conclusion that
"Christians and governments that allowed Christianity have made the
scientific discoveries that we base much of our science theories on
today,"  but I think Galileo and Copernicus might disagree.  Many
Muslims and Buddhists and Taoists and Hindus might say the same
thing, swapping their religion for "Christian."

The list at the other end of Martin's link has only one (broken) link
and no other mention of the oft-cited and absolutely essential
contributions of Islamic cultures to mathematics.  You can google
"islam mathematics" or read about it on the wikipedia:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_mathematics

The list practically skips Asian cultures altogether.  Joseph Needham
wrote the classic seven volume "Science and Civilisation in China," a
compendium of his life research on Chinese discovery and invention.
http://www.nri.org.uk/science.html

Jason