HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Joseph <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 20 Dec 2007 07:40:01 -0500
The decision to publish book reviews on-line was one made by Editor
Rebecca Allen and Book Review Editor Charlie Ewen, and as Vergil
Noble and others have noted, the intent was to get the reviews out in
a more timely manner as well as make them available to a wider
audience.  Publishing the reviews on-line is not cutting down on the
size of the journal - we have the same page/publication budget as
before, so this move gives us more room to publish articles.  One of
Rebecca's goals, which I and all of the Associate Editors share, is
to accelerate the publication process, and having more print space
for articles as well as getting the reviews out electronically is
doing just that.

I absolutely see no reason not to continue publishing the reviews on-
line.  However, we could also return to publishing them in print
(when the next edition goes to press) if the SHA membership would
prefer also having a hard copy of the reviews.  I will bring this
topic up at the Editorial Advisory Committee in Albuquerque for
discussion - comments on this matter are welcomed, either to the list
or to me directly.

J. W. (Joe) Joseph, PhD, RPA
In-coming Editor, Historical Archaeology

New South Associates
6150 East Ponce de Leon Avenue
Stone Mountain, GA  30083

(770) 498-4155 ext 102