HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Gaye Nayton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 May 2008 09:00:08 +0800
Krysta

Your theme this year seems very relevant. In Western Australia I work in cultural heritage management of, what to Britain's, seems the very recent past, being under 200 years old. Yet we do have a heritage industry based mainly around buildings and history which has a significant, if not always recognized, archaeological side to it. NSW, Victoria and Tasmania are much better at integrating archaeology into heritage management and protection.

In Australia we have always worked on the "broader remit, accepting that what we have today (inherited from the past, and what we create and manufacture ourselves) is part of the longer-term process of change with which we, as archaeologists, are closely familiar" so Australian's could add value to your conference if you can get any of the more senior people to travel to London.

I would be interested in the outcomes of this conference as I am heavily involved in trying to steer our WA Heritage Council into accepting a more integrated role for archaeology. If they are published I would like to buy the publication.

Regards

Gaye Nayton