HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Joe Dent <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2008 20:16:16 -0700
on 5/14/08 12:23 PM, Stacy Kozakavich at [log in to unmask] wrote:

> Dear Histarch List,
>

> This query on Metafilter seems perfect for the histarch list:
>
> "While digging out the backyard of our Philly rowhome to lay a
> patio, I came across a brick-lined pit with a pipe in it (pictures
> here and here). What is it?"
>
> http://ask.metafilter.com/91380/What-is-this-hole-in-my-backyard
>
> Picture links:
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/zempf/2492493640/in/photostream/
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/zempf/2491674973/in/photostream/
>
> Apart from the obvious admonitions about conducting exploratory
> excavations in the backyard, I'm sure this fellow would love some
> expert opinions on the feature!
>

> Stacy Kozakavich
> Berkeley, CA
Stacy -  A number of years ago I (with much help) excavated about
one-quarter of a city block in Philadelphia at N 7th and Arch Streets.  Arch
Street was lined with row houses built and occupied by wealthy Quakers, and
N 7th was lined with the more modest structures of the middle class.  Each
lot and associated row house almost always had a well, privy, and a cistern.
The former two appliances looked much alike -- deep round brick-lined shafts
only differentiated by matrix within each....  By city ordnance privy shafts
should have been shallower.  And they often were, except when they weren't.
Cisterns were always oval and had much less depth.  Original construction of
all was early 19th century. In some cases, these shafts were modified and
reused as the houses were converted to small factories after Civil War. At
any rate, a few had brick boxes (much like in your photos) to serve as pipe
conduits.  I think you are perhaps only seeing top of larger feature, and
there is much more below.  It is difficult to tell what type of feature
might be below (I suspect cistern, but perhaps a retrofitted well or privy).
Be careful if you go deeper. If there is well or privy lurking below it
might be a long way to bottom.  There is a large report on our work, and the
artifacts from the project and that report are in Harrisburg.  I have slides
of various features, but at moment I'm in New Mexico.  Contact me off-list
later in summer, and I try to scan some and e-mail.  Perhaps others have
suggestions or definitive verdict.

Joe Dent
American University