HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:09:51 -0600
Meli,

First, I don't advocate the use of USB flash pen-drives for archiving data
... they are quite handy for transferring data from one system/place to
another.

I used the word 'permanent' ill-advisedly, what I should have said is
'non-volatile.' Nevertheless, the anti-static technology of the latest
generation of USB pen-drives has been vastly improved. In fact, I bought a
new one a couple months ago that doubled the capacity of the one I had been
using (from 4gb to 8gb). Only a few days after acquiring it, I inadvertently
left it in my trousers pocket and it got run throught he laundry (both wash
& dryer cycles). Naturally, I was chagrined (not for the anticipated loss of
the data contained, but for the loss of the $50 value it represented),
thinking it desroyed. Imagine my surprise when I plugged it in a couple days
later and all was perfectly well! Eventhough the washing was vigorous enough
to remove the silk-screen printing on the plastic case, the data was still
totally intact ... and I'm still using the unit.

Bob