HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 17:17:28 EST

In a message dated 11/5/2007 11:40:03 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

Well,  one was
mottled, but not an identifiable 'design' tile, as the company is  known
for making.

Carol,

There are dozens of books on Arts & Crafts era tiles that would more  than
answer your questions on the tiles you have found. I suggest you peruse the
Save Our Heritage Organisation (SOHO) book store next to the Whaley House in Old
San Diego. They have reproduced many technical booklets. It helps to have a
broader understanding of how those companies evolved color schemes to meet the
 ethos of the Arts & Crafts Movement in the time they marketed those colors.
My bet is the tiles you found were part of a fireplace surround or hearth.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.