From:
Cassandra Leahy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2007 08:19:18 -0400

I am a hospital based IBCLC and it is clear to me that lactation services
provided by hospital staff (myself included) can always be better.  I have
many "if only" moments:....if only three IBCLCs did not have to share one 40
hour/week position (for a hospital that does approximately 4000
births/year), ......if only we could provide better follow up (or in many cases
ANY follow up), .......if only the pediatricians supported their patients with
better information, ......if only the staff nurses would use the lactation skills
we lovingly teach them every year, ......if only everyone else was as good as I
was (this said reflectively with a hint of sarcasm--pointed ONLY at myself).

I have come to the realization that it is best to assume everyone is doing the
best they can.  We all face restrictions and if I spend all my time identifying
where the system is broken, then I only become part of the problem.

Perspective is EVERYTHING!  I feel it everyday--the frustration and when it is
at its worst, I try to change my perspective.  How does that NICU nurse feel
when she is faced with the dilemma of working with an indigent mother who
intends to breastfeed her 32 weeker and has no means to purchase or rent a
pump?  Nurses and doctors want to help.  Nurses who contact WIC directly
have gone the extra step to help their patients.  They may have identified
that this particular mother will breastfeed only if she has help overcoming
the "obstacles".  WIC is a wonderful program and I have many friends who are
IBCLCs doing great work through WIC, but it is not a perfect system and can
be seen as frustrating by health care professionals and clients alike.

PERSPECTIVE--Is it possible to assume that everyone is doing their best, that
we all entered into our profession with a common goal.  Assuming we all have
strengths and weaknesses, that when we work together, truly as a team of
continuous care for the clients we serve, that we are offering the best their
is.

No one is perfect and there always is room for improvement.  I love what I do,
and in order for me to maintain a positive outlook, I have to believe that we
(here in the hospital setting) do some good.  I assure you our intentions are
genuine.