From:
Cassandra Leahy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 Aug 2007 17:53:06 -0400
I certainly do not want to turn this topic into an argument on
semantics.  I guess the point I wanted to make in my original post was
that our colleagues, co-workers, and other health care professionals are
working for a common goal (broad as it may be)-- and that goal is to
help/care for people. As such, we need to work together for solutions.
It should not be an US vs. THEM situation when you are dealing with a
hospital or any health care issue.

Shouldn't mutual respect (unconditionally) be part of our interaction?  I
have never been good at the blame game.  Pointing fingers, calling
names, pointing out the fault of others---seems counter productive.

I was not suggesting that passive behavior is the way to go nor was I
suggesting that a person only be accountable for working to their
individually defined "best".  I was not commenting on standards of
care/best practice/or working within our scope of practice at all.  I was
simply suggesting that we take a step back and reassess situations
from a different perspective in order to deal with or face daily
frustrations within "the system".

I will not argue over the phrase "working to the best of our ability"--I
only meant it to be taken at face value within the context it was
applied.  (I do expect my colleagues and co-workers to work within their
scope of practice and to be held accountable for the standards of care
they provide.)  I feel my message got lost along the way and turned
into the very thing I was trying to define in the first place.

Changing our perception enhances mutual respect.  Is mutual respect for
colleagues (for their opinions and practice) to be expected?  Mutual
respect does not mean that you must agree it but it would improve our
tolerance for other's and improve communication--a more effective way
to evoke change.

In my own practice, I have found that when I am faced with a situation
where a nurse/colleague/doctor has done or said something that I feel
was inappropriate or dare I say negligent--the story is never that
simple.  Usually after I take the time to find out "the entire story" it
plays out very differently then I originally imagined.  There is often no
easily defined right or wrong. (This does not infringe on my belief
that "Mom is always right"--I only commenting on communication issues
between health care professionals.)