Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 15:39:05 -0400
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (78 bytes) , text/plain (1438 bytes)
Thanks Lyn

************************************** See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

Hi Sorry to contact you off-line but although I thought I was registered (& I get all the HISTARCH stuff in my mail-box), I got my posting bounced back. Don't know if this is of any use at all Lyn McKerr ---------- Forwarded message ---------- From: [log in to unmask] To: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]> Subject: Re: Scalloped Date: 11 Jul 2007 19:19:52 +0000 Haven't got an Oxford dictionary handy, but in the north of Ireland 'skelping' is a beating- usually with the flat of the hand or a stick. Apparently it is used elsewhere too: (this definition below is from www.corkslang.com/skelp.html) "Construct: Noun Definition: A blow. Use: He took a skelp out of him. He struck him a blow. Derivation: 'Scelp' - a splinter, a thorn. (Quin). 'Scealp' - a splinter, a blow or slap. Note 'Not as ponderous as a clout'... 'I remember a stone-carver from Dublin who was always taking skelps off his knuckles'. (Murphy). 'Skelp' (Ireland, Scotland, North and Midland Counties) - to strike with the hand or with a flat surface. (Wright). " Don't know if this helps or hinders Lyn McKerr On Jul 11 2007, G. Alcock wrote: > If one of our academic affiliated listers or lurkers would please check > the unabridged Oxford English Dictionary for us, there might be a > contemporaneous (and now archaic) usage cited. > > Please? > > Gwyn Alcock > Riverside, CA > > Ron May <[log in to unmask]> wrote: Maybe "scalloped" is an archaic word > for something we are missing? > > Ron May > Legacy 106, Inc. >

ATOM RSS1 RSS2