ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charles Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 30 Mar 2007 16:20:55 -0700

Alan,

That's a great note.  It harkens to the science of imaging things and
is one of the reasons we have such a variety of scopes and
techniques.  It should be noted that the Monterey Bay Aquarium
experimented with the "controlled" use of research grade dissecting
scopes  back in the 80's, which turn into a controlled visitor
directed microscope demolition project and successfully replicated
smaller experiments that we had run (just kidding!).  User control is
a key element in any microscope presentation and yet elusive to
implement.

Charles
On Mar 30, 2007, at 3:59 PM, Alan J. Friedman wrote:

> Centers
> institutions.
> *******
>
> One more note on the microscope discussion:  I don't think anybody has
> questioned Wayne's implied definition of a "real" microscope ("My
> issue with
> Wentz scopes is that at times I want the visitor to use a real
> microscope.")
>
> I'll argue that the Wentzscope is a real microscope, as are the
> various
> video microscopes others have suggested.  There ARE fake
> microscopes--ones
> sold for classrooms that look like compound microscopes but are
> not.  They
> are simply slide viewers, and in place of an actual biological
> specimen,
> there are small small photographs on plastic slides.  The
> photographs were
> taken through a real microscope, and that's as close to real as
> these get.
>
> A real microscope has a compound lens system and lets you see a
> real-time
> view of an object of your choosing.  A Wentzscope meets this
> definition, as
> do traditional laboratory microscopes, video microscopes, scanning
> electron
> microscopes, and so on.  The school "microscope" I've described is
> intended
> to deceive, and offers no advantages over looking at a photograph
> except
> that it tricks students into thinking they are using a real
> microscope.
>
> I am sympathetic with Wayne's desire to give visitors an experience
> with an
> instrument identical to those which professionals use, and which
> visitors
> will recognize as such.  Many professionals today use video
> microscopes, or
> other devices that look nothing like the traditional design, but
> visitors
> probably don't realize that.  So putting a classic Zeiss, Bausch &
> Lomb,
> Olympus, or other expensive instrument out seems to be an attractive
> proposition.  The difficulty is that they tend to be difficult to
> use and to
> break easily.  Setting up visitors for failure isn't something we
> want to
> do.
>
> When the NY Hall of Science was developing its first microscope-
> intensive
> exhibition 20 years ago, we bought one of every major brand of
> microscope
> for prototype testing.  We needed fairly high magnification to see
> living
> microbes.  The microscopes we bought either broke down, or visitors
> couldn't
> figure out how to use them, or both.  We also surveyed microscopes in
> [...]

Charles Carlson
Director of Life Sciences
exploratorium
3601 Lyon St.