From:
"Andrea C. Tran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Apr 2007 19:03:16 -0600
As I said in my original post about  support group I run at my
hospital - I have a scale. And yes, it is ridiculous how compulsively
moms weigh their obviously thriving babies. On the other hand, there
has been more than one occasion where a serious problem was caught
because moms came and weighed their baby. Also, so few of the docs in
my hospital do the first check at 3-5 days. I tell parents this is
the AAP rec when they are going home, but because their doc has told
them to come in at a week or 2 or whatever, I rest a little easier
knowing they can come to Friday Afternoon Breastfeeding Club and get
a weight before that. I can also follow up on my outpt's if weight is
a concern. Yes, I know, all these things would be better with more
individualized appointments, but I do the best with what I have. So,
I'm keeping my scale.

I also think how you react to less than wonderful weight gain
influences the moms. If a baby has been gaining well I say, let's see
what it is next week. And then I launch into why it's not good to
weigh too much and how you want to look at other variables (is baby
hitting his dev. milestones, does he look healthy, etc?), and our
problem in the US isn't underweight, it's obesity. I don't really
think the answer is just don't let them see a scale.

Andrea Tran RN, IBCLC
Erie/Boulder, Colorado