From:
"Andrea C. Tran" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Apr 2007 21:34:23 -0600
Jennifer - my experience was "build it and they will come".

I started a breastfeeding support group at my hospital about 2 1/2
years ago. The first time I had 7 moms, now we regularly have 15-20.
It started twice a month and now it's weekly. They LOVE it. It is
very informal. I put out a scale so they can weigh their babies and
do before and after weights if they want. I am available for
questions, but I also stress it's there so moms can connect with
other breastfeeding moms. The hospital provides cookies and lemonade.
There is no charge. We started advertising with a flyer in their
packets they got when they gave birth and then included in our class
schedule book. We tell them about it when we see them in the hospital
and often mention it to our outpt's.

Our of the LC's that does it about once a month has a more guided
group discussion, but most of the time it is more informal, which is
what I prefer. I stress that it is not intended for hands on help
(that's what consults are for). Many moms come for months, some just
once. They love it and I'm really proud of it. I've told you most
everything about it, but feel free to email me if you have further
questions.

Andrea Tran RN, IBCLC
Erie/Boulder, Colorado