HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mitch Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2007 10:37:32 -0800
I have just put into production this week a book on Artifact
Classification by Dwight Read. I don't know if Dwight is on this list
to provide more details, but the book outlines his theories on how
classifications should be structured and critiques previous attempts.
The book should be available in May and copies (or proofs) should be at
the SAA meeting.
mitch allen
Left Coast Press, Inc.

--- Ron May <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I have been waiting for Rich Sprague to reply to his thread. After
> several
> years of attending SHA conference symposia and hearing the problems
> many people
>  encountered with Stanley South's model, I elected to work with
> Sprague's
> functional model for analysis of collections recovered at the Ballast
> Point
> Whaling Station and Chinese fishing camp (CA-SDI-12953) at San Diego,
>
> California. I corresponded with Sprague and launched into the
> analysis, which is  nearly
> complete. I expect to produce a report on this work by the end of
> next
> summer.
>
> My problem with the South model is that it is so static. Other people
>
> applied their data to the model and it simply did not work. Sprague's
> model, on  the
> other hand, enables analysis of the behavioral variables within a
> site due
> to factors such as ethnicity, gender, and economic class. I am more
> interested
> in the variations than trying to force the data into some rigid
> model.
>
> Ron May
> Legacy 106, Inc.
>
> In a message dated 1/24/2007 1:18:06 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
> [log in to unmask] writes:
>
> Larry
>
> We have exchanged much of this already but HISTARCH  readers may not
> be aware of some of the details.  As indicated, what  you are looking
>
> for has already been done and used with great frequency in  western
> North America.  It was published as:  Roderick Sprague,  1981, A
> Functional Classification for Artifacts from 19th and 20th Century
> Historical Sites.  North American Archaeologist,  2(3):251-261.
>
> Stan and I carried on good humored correspondence (before  email) for
>
> many months on our different approaches to question of  functional
> classifications.  Statements such as "laundry lists" vs.  "where and
> what I did today" were part of that correspondence and should  not be
>
> taken seriously or misinterpreted.   Why this work has  been little
> used east of the Mississippi except by my former students has  always
>
> been a mystery to me.
>
> Changes suggested, such as those by  Cathy Spude, are usually ones
> that are made to make specific adjustments  for some special issue
> and
> are encouraged.  Unfortunately more often  changes are made to make
> the decision process easier and generally violate  the functional
> first level of decision.  For example cartridges are  grouped as just
>
> that rather than within functional groups of hunting, self  defense,
> recreation, national defense, etc.  This is also most often
> erroneously done with bottles and cans.
>
> Rick
>
> Roderick  Sprague
> 625 N Garfield St
> [...]