HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Mitch Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 6 Jul 2007 09:30:13 -0700
I used this as an assignment in my archaeology class last semester.
Create a set of criteria and pick 7 from the list that best meet those
criteria. And then asked them to add a site that wasn't on the list
using those same criteria. Interestingly, very few of them identified
modern sites as worthy of the list.
mitch allen
Left Coast Press & Mills College

--- Thoth gibbs <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Jeffrey,
>
> The insanity of this for me is that there are thousands of very
> important sites throughout the world. I could think of seven wonders
> just in New Mexico of the top of my head, and I would have a hard
> time choosing.  I think if each state or country had some kind of
> similar voting for just their country or area, it would do a lot to
> raise the awareness of archaeology and historical resources in our
> back yard. It seems a no-brainer for SHPOs and the voting public to
> come up with the seven wonders of New Mexico, or say Nebraska. I have
> no idea what the seven wonders of Nebraska would look like, but I am
> sure people living there would. Something like that could promote
> tourism and awareness and preservation.
>
> Victor Gibbs, RPA
> Prinicpal Investigator
> Zia Engineering and Environmental Consultants, LLC

Mitch Allen
Publisher
Left Coast Press, Inc.
1630 N. Main Street, #400