ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Parrucci, Lynn" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 09:08:16 -0500

Hi Susanna,

When I worked at Carnegie Science Center, we too had a fire show, the Legend of Fire. We used the various typical demos to focus on its needs - fuel, heat source and oxygen - to incorporate safety messages in each demo.

I met with our fire marshal and the fire department's education staff to invite them to participate in Fire Safety Month, October (which is also national pizza month, btw). Together, we planned the educational programs. I showed them our scripts for the demos and how we incorporated each safety message. They showed me their videos, which we set up in the lobby. They brought their mascot - Freddie the Fire Truck. We had kids in the lobby doing stop, drop and roll. I wish I could attach pictures - they were very cute. They set up a booth and volunteered to distribute educational materials that I thought went over quite well. They had one for parents and children to map out their home and plan their escape routes. They gave out little toy stop watches as a give away for the families to go home and practice. It was great. We basically planned the whole thing together. They were satisfied and never questioned our program.

We walked them through the safety features we used in the program and took their suggestions for any others.  We performed on a stage with a 30-foot ceiling, sprinkler system, ABC extinguisher, water-soaked cloth, etc. They suggested a fire-proof cabinet for storage back stage, which we added. They did do occasional inspections of our building and theater.  We continued fire safety week for 3 or 4 years until the city cut their educational funding.

At my current job, we wouldn't dare even think about doing anything with fire! :-)

Good luck,

Lynn Parrucci
Director of Educational Programs
Philadelphia Zoo
3400 W. Girard Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19104
215-243-5243

> Dear ASTCians,
>
> The Imaginarium's local fire department is sorely distressed over the fact
> that we're igniting hydrogen balloons and hydrogen bubbles in our building.
> Our fire inspector is also concerned that we are doing this activity with
> and in front of children.  He's shut our combustion demonstrations down
> until we approach the Fire Marshal with some information on how other
> Science Centers deal with fire codes & children regarding this activity.
>
> If you and your center have had close encounters with your local fire
> department, please reply with your story.  What were the fire department's
> specific complaints?  How did you satisfy them that your center was doing
> combustion demonstrations safely?
>
> Yours in Pyrotechnics,
>
> Susanna Mishler
> Education Programs Manager
> The Imaginarium
> 737 W. 5th Ave., Ste. G

The information in this e-mail and any attachments are confidential and may also be legally privileged.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this communication in error and that any review, dissemination or copying of this message is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and delete the communication.

The Philadelphia Zoo
3400 West Girard Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19104-1196
Telephone: (215) 243-1100