HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 22 Mar 2007 04:09:00 -0400

In a message dated 3/21/2007 11:57:43 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

trash/waste used as fills, or even piles of garbage
("refuse"?) that  accumulate without any purpose...

Hmm, now you've lost me. First I read that historic sites are not included
in the OED as eligible for qualifying as "middens" because they are not ancient
 (a truly subjective term). Now I read that decomposed trash and garbage
that accumulates in a soil (churned or otherwise) is also not eligible for
classifying as midden. But, if the soil turns dark from decomposed organics and  is
mixed with other cultural waste and is associated with a human activity, how
can we define it as something other than midden? As I asked Jeannette, what
then  do you define as midden?

This kind of goes back to the old saying, "if it quacks like a  duck...."

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.