ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
jason jay stevens <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Jan 2007 09:47:50 -0600

For Geeks only:

This new touch screen-based hardware designed for making music with
computers is called the Lemur, and is a giant leap in the right
direction for control interfaces:
http://www.cycling74.com/products/lemur

Essentially it allows a user to create and layout their own touch
screen interface, whether it's made of virtual knobs or sliders or
bouncing balls, the manipulations of which control variables in the
music-making software.
It's also one of a new batch of interfaces that uses the ol' Ethernet
port for communicating with the base computer, instead of slower USB
or FireWire.

Computer musicians on the list can instantly appreciate this
development.  Anyone who has used or thought about using alternative
interfaces for controlling any computer software--music or otherwise--
can appreciate where this is headed.

We're hoping the iPhone, with it's complex touch screen, will bring
down the price of this technology.

Cycling'74 also distributes a make-your-own interface hardware kit.

--J

JasonJayStevens
JasonJayStevensStudios
www.potterbelmar.org