Subject:
Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 12:57:45 -0400
Content-Type:
multipart/mixed
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (-1 MB) multipart/mixed (-1 MB) , text/plain (-1 MB) , text/plain (-1 MB)

I have received the following request for assistance that I have agreed to forward. If anyone has applicable information please respond to Michelle directly.   Thanks Doug   Douglas Mackey   New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation Peebles Island PO Box 189 Waterford, NY 12188 (518) 237-8643 x 3291   [log in to unmask] ________________________________ From: Michelle Hannum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Sent: Thursday, June 29, 2006 11:32 AM To: Mackey, Douglas (PEB) Subject: apple orchards Douglas,   Thank you for your response.   I'm currently researching apple orchards in the State of Washington, Yakima Valley specifically. There is an abundance of material regarding the technical aspects of the industry - one of the prime orchardist having also been an agricultural professor in the region. However, there is no information regarding the day-to-day aspects of the industry. I have a project that entails a standing caretaker's house built in 1901. The building has never changed ownership, belonging to the Congdon Orchard Company, and has always been used as a caretaker's house (as far as I can gather). The building itself appears to be NRHP eligible. Until recently, the house was surrounded by orchard. My goal for research is determining the expected archaeological resources associated with the structure. There appears to be no written material on this aspect of the orchard industry. I am wondering if there is literature on the subject of apple orchard structures and/or people or if there has been archaeological investigations of orchard properties.   Any information would be greatly appreciated.   Cheers, Michelle   Michelle M. Hannum Associate Archaeologist Plateau Archaeological Investigations, LLC Pullman, WA (509) 332. 3830 [log in to unmask]
ACRA-L is a public listserv supported by the American Cultural Resources Association (ACRA), a non-profit trade association, for the use of the cultural resource management community. You do not need to belong to ACRA to subscribe to this list. As a result, opinions expressed on the list do not necessarily represent the views of ACRA or of its members. For more information on the list and to unsubscribe use the links below. _______________________________________________ acra-l mailing list [log in to unmask] http://lists.nonprofit.net/mailman/listinfo/acra-l

ATOM RSS1 RSS2