HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"paul.courtney2" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2006 17:16:10 +0100
Adrian

With my urban historian hat on - There is no common definition of city
but many US cities are defined by incorporation (ie  a corporate charter
granted by state) rather than their size.This is certainly the case in
UK where most cities have a cathedral and the status is granted by royal
charter. A definition on size is permissable for academic purposes but
needs to be defined.

paul