HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Charles H. Fithian" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 00:00:39 +0000
James,
Not sure if this answers your questions, but here goes.  Archaeologists with the State of Delaware are currently examining a shipwreck site on the Delaware coast near Lewes.   Based on the artifact assemblage, the vessel dates to the third quarter of the 18th century, probably the early 1770s.  One of the largest ceramics groups is salt glazed stoneware, particularly stoneware mineral water bottles.

The bottles are cylindrical and straight sided.  The handle is a simple extruded loop/ring type. Iron oxide slip is present on the exterior, but is uneven in the application. On many, the salt glaze is almost clear.  The tooling on the interior varies, but is frequently deeply incised vertical lines.  Generally, the bottles are well made, but some exhibit some haste in production.

Maker's marks are present, and is mainly the mark of the SELTERS company.  They are still in existence.  There are also stamped or incised potter's marks on the exterior.

This mineral water bottle assemblage is one of the largest I have seen here in the US.  It has also helped us identify this stoneware form in other 18th assemblages from Delaware sites.

Charles Fithian
Delaware Division of Historical and Cultural Affairs
From: JAMES MURPHY <[log in to unmask]>