HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
James Brothers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2006 15:32:11 -0400
I have used metal detectors/geophysical survey on a number of
historic sites. Not sure how we would have done some of them without
it. Participated in a survey of the site of the first ironworks in
the US (Falling Creek 1619-22). Totally non-intrusive and we found a
whopping great magnetic anomaly that has to be the blast furnace
hearth (now all we have to do is move 16 feet of road fill...). Also
have done metal detector surveys on a number of Civil War sites. The
only other way to get the same results would have been a total
excavation of the site, which was not possible.

In the hands of responsible individuals they are a great tool. On the
other hand I participated in the excavation preceding the building of
Pamplin Park (Petersburg, VA), a Civil War museum. we excavated three
of the Confederate juts and part of the camp. One weekend some "relic
hunters' decided our excavation looked like a dandy place to do some
hunting of their own. Fortunately it appears they were, while rather
destructive, pretty inexperienced. they excavated a lot of nails and
barrel hoops, but missed the buttons and buckles. Trashed the site
and from that point on we had a police guard.