HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bob Skiles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 9 Nov 2006 12:41:26 -0600
As Ed has already pointed out the artifact is doubtlessly a lightning rod
insulator (LRI) [an insulating support for the conductor running from the
lightning rod atop the roof to the grounding rod in the soil) and it
probably was manufactured sometime between about 1869 and about 1890. Early
LRIs were made of glass (ca 1850s-1890s) and were supplanted by ceramic ones
in later years

Excellent webpage on lightning rod insulators (LRIs) manufactured in Ohio:

http://groups.msn.com/OhioLightningRodInsulatorsItems/

Photos of common types of LRIs (note especially the Otis type in the bottom
row):

http://groups.msn.com/OhioLightningRodInsulatorsItems/idefinelriinsulatortypes.msnw

Photo of metal rings for mounting glass LRIs:

http://groups.msn.com/OhioLightningRodInsulatorsItems/mountinghardware.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=204

Photo of miscellaneous LR & LRI mounting hardware:

http://groups.msn.com/OhioLightningRodInsulatorsItems/mountinghardware.msnw?action=ShowPhoto&PhotoID=203

You may look-up the original U.S. Patent No. 94, 037 granted for this type
of LRI to Franklin Scott of Brooklyn, N.Y. on August 24, 1869 here:

http://patft.uspto.gov/netahtml/PTO/srchnum.htm

Or . you may download images of the two paged patent document (the
specifications page and a line drawing) from my webserver here:

http://skiles.net/94037_patent_specs.tif

http://skiles.net/94037_patent_drawing.tif

Bob Skiles
~~~
"Smithers! Get that bedlamite to an alienist." ~ C. Monty Burns