HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Carol McDavid <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2006 17:57:39 -0600
Re: paper is done, more or lessDear Colleagues,

I am seeking examples of publications, preferably book-length, which attempt to explore (in depth and over time) particular places and/or communities in terms of at least some of the following things: geography, historicity, name, public memory, location of cultural meaning, and contested terrain (with regard to housing/urban/planning policy, historical or contemporary narratives, folklore, ethnic history, etc.).  I would be grateful for any ideas you might have, either off-list or on. I hope to find books which take a multidisciplinary approach, athough single-discipline books would also be helpful. I am seeking books which are not specifically "archaeological" in nature, but those are fine too.

Perhaps these examples will serve as a jumping off point for suggestions: One possible example I can think of is Barbara Bender's exploration of Stonehenge as a contested landscape with multiple meanings to contemporary stakeholders (Stonehenge: Making Space) -- it's not exactly what I am looking for but in some ways it comes close.  Another possibility applying to American historical contexts is Paul Shackel's Myth, Memory, and the American Landscape -- although that too is slightly different than what I am seeking in a couple of respects. I'm  sure there are other, perhaps more obvious, examples which I simply can't think of at present, so please send those if you think of them!

Ideally, I hope to find examples which explore particular spaces/landscapes/communities over the long term -- that is, decades. But publications which cover shorter time frames will be helpful too.

Obviously I am searching myself, and will continue to do so (I'm not asking the list to do my "homework"!)...but I hope listmembers won't mind if I pick your brains just a bit! If anyone is interested, I can post the results of this query to the list.

Gratefully,

Carol

Carol McDavid, Ph.D.
Project Director, Public Archaeology, Yates Community Archaeology Project
Adjunct Asst. Professor, University of Houston
1638 Branard
Houston, TX 77006
www.webarchaeology.com <http://www.webarchaeology.com>
www.publicarchaeology.org <http://www.publicarchaeology.org>