HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Marcy Rockman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Apr 2006 22:49:49 -0700
Writing now to thank all for the collected suggestions. Many useful ideas
have come in, both on the list and offline. Given the nature of the beast
(so to speak), I think the skid suggestion plus some careful wrapping (such
as large bubble wrap) may do the trick. Have also made some very good
contacts with knowledgeable folks in the immediate area-- thank you
HISTARCH!

I'd be happy to email a photo of the machine to anyone who is interested,
particularly as we're still trying to get confirmation of its original use.
Research by previous investigators suggests that it may be part of one of
the "generators" used to heat mined ore and extract oil 1922-1928 (I think I
advertised it as 1930s in first post- apologies- too many projects at one
time, etc.), although it doesn't seem large enough to me, and I'm not seeing
room for the brick lining described in the historical technical description
of the mining operations. Perhaps an external component of the generator? It
has been documented with HABS/HAER photos, and we will do some additional
detailed sketches and photos before attempting the move.

Again, thanks,
Marcy

Marcy Rockman, Ph.D.
Principal Archaeologist