HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Paul Mohler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jul 2005 15:22:20 -0400
Melissa,
You may want to check out the brief description of such cases in The History
of American Funeral Directing (Haberstein and Lamers 1996 [4th revised
edition]:183-186).  They suggest a late 19th-century beginning to the cement
burial case.  It sounds as if the use of the packing crate that Dan Allen
mentioned in a previous response was transformed over time as a "preform"
into which concrete or cement would be poured, essentially encasing the
coffin and forming a vault.  Hope this helps!

Paul J. Mohler
NCDOT Archaeology Unit