ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Bill Watson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Jul 2005 12:43:27 -0400

I received this post from the American Educational Research Association
(AERA) listserv and thought I'd pass it along. A brief skim of the articles
in this issue suggests that there might be some good research and
information for science centers involved in a unified (i.e.
partnership/formal-informal) approach to science education.

Bill

Bill Watson
Research Assistant, SCALE-uP
The George Washington University
Graduate School of Education and Human Development
Department of Teacher Preparation and Special Education
2134 G St. NW
Washington, DC  20052
Phone: (202) 994-1171
Fax: (202) 994-0692
www.gwu.edu/~scale-up

ORIGINAL POST TO AERA LISTSERV

Hi

I have some news for you that I hope you'll find of interest. The new
issue of Harvard Family Research Project's periodical, "The Evaluation
Exchange," introduces "complementary learning" -- the idea that
narrowing the achievement gap requires solid and sustained investments
in nonschool learning supports, such as early care and education,
families, after school programs, libraries, museums, and other
community-based supports. While good schools are critical, schools alone
cannot improve educational outcomes and fully prepare our children for
success in the global 21st century. Complementary learning also calls
for school and nonschool supports to link and align so they complement
one another as well as schools and no longer operate in isolation.

The issue delves into the evidence base behind complementary learning
and then examines mechanisms that can create effective linkages between
learning contexts -- mechanisms such as family involvement, technology,
professional development, and diverse funding streams. Articles in this
issue also highlight promising approaches for evaluating complementary
learning practices and programs, both in terms of what outcomes to focus
on and what methodologies to use.

The issue is available free of charge on our website at
http://www.gse.harvard.edu/hfrp/eval/issue29. If you would like a hard
copy just let me know. You can also subscribe to receive future issues
free of charge at http://www.gse.harvard.edu/hfrp/subscribe.html.

This issue builds off the knowledge base we compiled in three prior
issues of "The Evaluation Exchange," which each explored a particular
area of nonschool learning supports. The Winter 2004/2005 issue covered
family support and family involvement programs, the Summer 2004 issue
examined early childhood programs, and the Spring 2004 issue was devoted
to out-of-school time and youth development programs. Each of these
issues is available on our website at
http://www.gse.harvard.edu/hfrp/eval/archives.html.

We hope you find the new issue of interest and please let us know if you
have any questions or feedback.

Best regards,

Stacey Miller
Publications Manager