HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
JAMES MURPHY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2006 14:46:45 -0400
One company that deliberately produced yellow "fireflashed" pressed facebrick was the Ironclay Brick Co. of Shawnee, Perry Co., Ohio.  Gurcke gives a 1919 citation but the company was in operation from at least 1902 to 1934 and continued manufacture at its Hanover Ohio plant until 1949 (probably red brick not spotted flashbrick).  Ironclay did not have a monopoly on this product although it was probably the country's leading producer.  Anyway, the spotting was definitely deliberate.