ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 08:28:35 -0500

I remember someone once mentioning "beer" in this forum so I figured this
post might not be viewed as inappropriate.

This, in my opinion, is a wonderfully fun story... I've bought my T-shirt!

  Counter-Culture Brewmeister Wasatch Depicts Evolution vs. "Intelligent
Design"
  2002 "Unofficial" Amber Ale Evolves

  November 7, 2005 (Park City, Utah) - Wasatch Brewery reflects a growing
debate in Utah and around the country: should "intelligent design" be taught
in science classes as an alternative to Darwin's Theory of Evolution? With
this in mind, the Gold Medal winning 2002 "Unofficial" Amber Ale has
officially been replaced on the shelves by Evolution Amber Ale as founder of
Wasatch Brewery, Greg Schirf, once again stirs the controversial pot of
local politics. Wasatch Beer's newest label includes a "Darwin Approved"
seal explaining that the beer was "created in 27 days, not 7."

  Schirf has become the brewmeister of more than just beer. Many remember
Schirf's highly controversial move during the 2002 Winter Olympics with his
launch of the 2002 "Unofficial" Amber Ale, which quickly drew attention from
the US Olympic Committee and the official beer sponsor, Anheuser-Busch.
Another Wasatch brew, which gained national and international spotlight, was
Polygamy Porter ("Why have just one?"). Schirf is also the former
impersonator of Ben Franklin when he recreated the Boston Tea Party by
dumping four kegs of beer into the Great Salt Lake as a beer tax protest
that inspired the launching of his 1st Amendment Lager ("Give me liberty, or
give me a cold one.")

  "The unintended irony is that this beer actually is evolutionary," Schirf
noted. "The 2002 'Unofficial' Amber Ale has been a top seller for five
years. We always knew that we would need to come up with a new name in order
to remain meaningful for our customers. It was just a matter of time before
Utah legislators provided us with the right inspiration."

  Perhaps nowhere in the country are the lines between Church and State as
blurry as they are in Utah where 90% of state legislators are Mormon. Even
though there is little debate in the scientific world about the validity of
evolution explaining the origin of life on earth, there has been a highly
visible push to include "intelligent design" in Utah's public school science
classrooms.

  So what exactly is "intelligent design?"
  Advocates of "intelligent design" tout the belief that life is too complex
to have been created without a higher power's guidance, dismissing Darwin's
Theory of Evolution. Opponents to "intelligent design" see this argument as
a watered down version of creationism, the belief that the world was created
in seven days. There is seemingly enough support of "intelligent design"
that in January, Utah Senator Chris Buttars, R-West Jordan, intends to
sponsor a bill making it mandatory to teach "intelligent design" in addition
to Darwin's Theory of Evolution in Utah public schools. Senator Buttars has
not been shy about his outrage that schools teach evolution as scientific
fact in the classrooms. He argues that both sides of the debate should be
taught, allowing children to decide which makes the most sense to them.

  Utah is not the only state where legislators are countering evolution as
scientific fact. Kansas legislators garnered enough support to pass a bill
enabling the teaching of "intelligent design" in public schools starting in
2006. If Senator Buttars has his way, Utah could be next. While Senator
Buttars leads the fight for "intelligent design" in Utah public schools,
there are other organizations such as the Eagle Forum, trying to lobby for
changes in Federal legislation that would mandate the inclusion of
"intelligent design" in public education across the country.

  For Schirf, it is critical to bring to the forefront the dangers of an
eroding separation between church and state. He sees the inclusion of
"intelligent design" in American public education as one dangerous step
closer to living in a theocracy rather than a democracy. "We're not trying
to say that we're right and you're wrong," explains Schirf. "Our message is
really just a reflection of our current political climate. What people don't
always realize is that evolution versus creationism has been an ongoing
battle in our country since the infamous "Monkey Trial" in 1925. Today,
people like Senator Buttars in Utah try to confuse the issue between church
and state. We don't have any problem with teaching religion. We just think
science should be taught in science class and religion should be taught in
religion class."

  To critics who accuse him of just being up to the same old publicity
stunts, the often times contentious brewmeister responds, "Perhaps, but we
are really trying to live up to our mission statement, 'Craft the finest
ales and lagers possible.  Achieve a commercial profitability while
maintaining the highest level of social responsibility. And have as much fun
as we can legally get away with.'"

  Regardless of how the "intelligent design" debate unfolds in Utah, one
thing is certain: Wasatch Beers will be paying close attention. In the
meantime, whether you are looking for a gold medal beer with a funny label
or want to have a great conversation starter at your next cocktail party,
Evolution Amber Ale is the beer for you.

  About Wasatch Brewery:
  Wasatch Brewery is the oldest and the largest microbrewery in the state of
Utah. Founded by Greg Schirf in 1986 in Park City, Wasatch Beers is
currently distributed throughout Utah, both on and off-premise and in select
markets in Idaho, Wyoming and Montana. Wasatch remains committed to its
original slogan "We drink our share and sell the rest." For more information
on Wasatch Beers, please call 801.466.8855 or visit www.wasatchbeers.com.