ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Amanda Chesworth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Nov 2005 08:26:13 -0500

Wow, what an opportunity. I wish I had of known. A resource themed on
"around the world in 80 days" opens up a lot of possibilities for learning
experiences. Science museums may not be the ideal place for such an exhibit
but society as a whole could have produced quite an interesting exhibit..
encouraging all that good stuff like celebrating diversity and so on.

It seems there is an increase in annual celebrations of science. We did a
special issue of Skeptical Inquirer on the year of physics. And people seem
to be preparing for Darwin's bicentennial in 2009. There's a wonderful book,
I believe it's titled "Darwin's Orchestra" which lists important events
within natural history for every day of the year. I was happy to see one of
the days listed celebrated the beginning of Gary Larson's "Farside" comic. A
book like this for all of science would be worthwhile. I have many teacher's
calendars and the large Chase book listing many events but I haven't found
anything for science in particular.. besides the timelines.

Amanda

***
Amanda Chesworth, Educational Director
Committee for the Scientific Investigation of Claims of the Paranormal
www.csicop.org
Inquiring Minds Program
www.inquiringminds.org
Skeptical Inquirer Magazine