From:
Steve Schwartz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Jun 2005 12:03:43 -0500
Karl Miller responds to the following statement from the Juilliard
website:

>> At a time when serial music was dominant in American composition,
>> Diamond was a neo-Romantic with an ear for melody.
>
>While, for much of work that is probably true, but then I would wager
>the person who wrote that never heard Diamond's Sixth Symphony.

I'm with Karl.  I never thought of Diamond as a neo-Romantic, more as a
neo-Classic.  His music has more in common with Stravinsky than with
Sibelius.  Karl mentions the 6th Symphony.  I'd put in the cello sonata
and many, many other works as well.

It's a bit of a disgrace that all of Diamond's symphonies aren't available
in recording.

Steve Schwartz