ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Eric Siegel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:29:48 -0500

The best one I attended was the PIE workshop...we actually built
things in groups and practiced what we preach...learning by doing.
Our Exhibit Services Director had a ball at the rapid prototyping
session.

It is a major stumbling block of ASTC that 95+% of the sessions are
ppt/talk/question format.  Anyone here have any creative ideas for
session *formats?*

1) Build stuff
2) Small group conversations
3) 60 ideas in 60 minutes type sessions

It seems a shame that we are so eager to have science teaching move
away from chalk and talk, yet we are kind of stymied in how to do
this when we share information among ourselves.

Eric Siegel
Executive VP
    Programs and Planning
NY Hall of Science