ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Maria Mingalone <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Dec 2005 09:19:09 -0500

I been asking everyone I can about research studies that have published
findings on the value of experiential, hands-on, inquiry-base, etc,
etc,... Because I want to bring them to our district superintendents to
influence their decisions on museum visits and the museums curriculum
and Prof dev programs.

I didn't get back many responses...but here is one that I think might be
helpful to this group. It summarizes several studies that indicate that
inquiry based science instruction does have positive effect on the
development of reading comprehension and science literacy:

"Teaching Hands-On/Minds-On Science Improves Student Achievement in
Reading: A Fresno Study" by Jerry D. Valadez, Science Coordinator,
Yvonne Freve, Analyst. Fresno Unified School District--Urban Systemic
Program.For more info about this, contact Jerry Valadez, K-12 Science
coordinator ([log in to unmask])

I also think it would be a valuable ASTC conference to compile and
present such findings because I feel we lack concrete evidence to affect
changes in policy without it. I

Maria Mingalone
Director of Education and Public Programs
Berkshire Museum
39 South Street (Route 7)
Pittsfield, MA 01201
(413)443-7171, ext 14

See "A Faerie Tale Festival of Trees," an enchanted forest of 200
decorated trees, fairy tale "artifacts," and more, November 19-December
31, 2005. www.berkshiremuseum.org