From:
Richard Putter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jan 1999 15:53:00 -0500
Don Satz wrote:

>Who are these giants of the cello?  Yo-Yo Ma, Rostropovich, and Anner
>Bylsma.
>
>Which cellists would make good back-ups in case of illness?

If we're restricted to living cellists, I would add Lynn Harrell.  I think
he's one of the more underrated cellists out there.  Can we fantasize a
bit? I'd love to see Feuermann added to the lineup; and Piatagorsky (and
what about Casals and DuPre, though the others mentioned thus far are more
my favorites?) And how about repertoire? There's a lovely piece for three
cellos and orchestra which would be worth programming -- David Popper's
Requiem.  Pure romantic schmalz, but *wonderful* pure romantic schmalz.

Rich Putter