From:
Donald Satz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Jan 1999 15:04:25 PST
If it's good enough for tenors, it's fine for cellists.  I don't know that
the three most accomplished active cellists plan to give a recital
together, but it would be a great event.

Who are these giants of the cello?  Yo-Yo Ma, Rostropovich, and Anner
Bylsma.  Ma has provided stunning recordings of all the mainstream cello
repertoire, and now that he is an icon, Ma is recording some interesting
"theme" cd's.  Rostropovich is the best of all.  I consider Bylsma the
king of the baroque cello.  Every recording he has done for Sony Vivarte
has been excellent, and he has helped bring to the public many obscure
composers and works.

Which cellists would make good back-ups in case of illness? We can't have
any coughing, sneezing, or throat clearing at a concert performance.

Don Satz