HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carol Serr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:21:07 -0800
Oh, forgot all about Matchbox cars.  I had 20 or more of them....well,
still have them, and my brothers collection (since it's still at my
mom's house; and his wife wont let him collect stuff).  Of course, they
arent mint...pretty banged up/scuffed...from lots of playing...crashing
into each others cars, etc.  Cant say I remember seeing marbles widely
played...but do remember have a bag of cool colored ones.  So, why would
stores sell them, if kids werent playing with 'em?

And yes, a Matchbox car HAS been found in an excavation..along with a
Hotwheels...and a MacDonalds car.  We found a plastic Big Bird also...
Can we say mixed integrity?

I never got into hopscotch much (too girly), but it definitely was
commonly played in S CA in the 60s.  Also double Dutch jump roping was
popular.  I mostly watched that, instead of participating.  Girls spent
a lot of time on the bars, spinning upside down, etc. - doing tricks.
My hands blistered easily, so I didn't do much of that; and again, it
was too girly for me.  Ha ha.  Maybe I didn't want to show my
underpants.  Girls nowadays (since the 70s) cant even relate to not
wearing pants (or shorts under) to school.  I hated dresses (still do),
and was SO glad when in 10th grade (1971-72) we could wear pants any day
of the week, not just on casual Fri.  Boy have times Changed.

Played lots of handball, on a 3-sided court with a small (sealed) red
rubber ball (not the same game you mention)....and dodge ball (with the
inflated red balls)...and four-square....and tether ball.  But I mostly
loved soccer, altho tho it wasn't played in leagues like it is now (only
played at school, seasonally).