HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:06:30 +1100
William,

Thanks for all of that.  One WW2 emergency / back up strip I've seen was
covered in a layer of small pea-sized rounded laterite pebble gravel.  If
you drive on it you often get car wheels spinning and I wondered  whether
that it was more to help in slowing down a landing plane rather than helping
one get max acceleration before lift off.

Yes, the Australian War Memorial photo archives are a great and wonderful
thing.  For anyone else interested www.awm.gov.au

Good stuff!

Denis