HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Denis Gojak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Feb 2005 07:29:30 +1100
Hi all

I'm researching a site established in the 1870s to mine and process kerosene oil shale in the bush in New South Wales, Australia.  The mine operators imported much of their technology from Scotland, and also encouraged hundreds of Scottish miners and their families to migrate to Australia.  The resultant relict village [Joadja] has a number of standing buildings, chimneys and house sites of the workers which are the subject of investigation.

I'm looking for any information on Scottish inndustrial or rural settlements in either Scotland or elsewhere from the period 1850-1900 to get a sense of what sorts of archaeological investigations have been undertaken.

All references are most welcome.

Denis

Denis Gojak
Banksia Heritage + Archaeology