From:
Dave Lampson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Nov 2004 15:05:02 -0800
Richard Pennycuick wrote:

>I noticed the release on Centaur of two symphonies by the Czech,
>Kalliwoda (aka variant spellings), played by the Pilsen Radio Orchestra.
>I have a Vox-Candide LP with another Kalliwoda symphony which suggests
>this CD might be worth investigating.  I haven't seen any reviews and
>wondered if anyone has acquired it and can offer an opinion.

I got this CD back in 1992 when it first came out.  I hadn't listened
to it for a few years, but two listenings this week reaffirmed my initial
impression.  These are very impressive works, very much in the style of
his German contemporaries Mendelssohn and Schumann.  Schumann, a sometimes
harsh critic, apparently liked these works a great deal and they were
widely popular in their day.  Kalliwoda was a well-known and important
composer.

I remember hoping at the time I first heard these works that Centaur
would record a few more of his symphonies.  The two symphonies on the
Centaur CD are #5 (Op. 106 of 1840), and #6 (Op. 132 from 1845).
Sources vary on the number he wrote - New Grove gives the number at
seven.  His output numbers 243 published works, so there's still much
to be explored.  I've managed to find less than a handful of other works:
a Concertino Oboe & Orchestra, Op. 110 (Claves); Introduction, Theme &
Variations Clarinet & Orchestra B Flat Major, Op. 128 (Schwann); and a
"Morceau de Salon" for Clarinet & Piano, Op. 229 (AS&V).  All highly
recommended if you can find them.

Dave
http://www.classical.net/