From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2004 20:54:03 EDT
Brenda, babies and mothers can use SNS and other systems long term and be
successful.  What concerns me with your note is the description that the baby is
not getting a deep latch but getting milk from the SNS.  Some babies learn
quickly about the tube, what it can offer and they just want the follow from the
tube.  This does not get the mother to the goal of breastfeeding.
What happens with the shields?  Has the mother done any expressing?
I do think there is hope for the baby to latch and this dyad to breastfeed
but just the SNS at the breast doesn't sound it is the solution.
Ann Perry, RN, IBCLC
Boston, MA