From:
Ann Perry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:11:04 EDT
In a message dated 6/18/2004 11:35:25 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
The researchers discussed possible strategies for
>preventing the virus from spreading through breast milk,
>such as giving anti-HIV drugs to mothers who are breast
>feeding.  Similarly, such drugs might be given to infants
>while they are breast feeding.
>
>"An important implication of our analyses is that, since
>children of HIV-1-infected mothers have a consistent and
>substantial risk of acquisition of HIV-1 throughout the
>period of breast-feeding, to be most effective,
>interventions to prevent transmission through breast-
>feeding should be continued until the cessation of breast-
>feeding," the researchers wrote.
This section I found particularly interesting and have to admit that I am not
up to date on the latest research.
When the studies were done on giving anti-HIV drugs to pregnant women, the
results were so great they stopped the trial so all the women would receive the
same protection.  I know the medications were continued for a short duration
postpartum for the mothers and to the infants but I did not hear if a trial was
done to continue the anti-HIV meds to both mother and child while
breastfeeding.  Since in developed countries such as the USA discourages breastfeeding
(or should I say prohibits?) there have been no subjects to study.  In countries
where formula feeding is not a safe option has this been offered and studied
in the postpartum period?
I know that it has taken years and lack of funds to even get anti-HIV meds to
pregnant women in undeveloped countries.  Could I assume that with lack of
money and supplies that these meds have not been offered for the duration of
breastfeeding?  This would be very interesting to study.
I wonder also in this NIH report if after 4 weeks if some of these mothers
were offering other foods along with breastfeeding which places these infants at
greater risk?
Does anyone know who would have the answers to these questions?
Thanks,
Ann Perry, RN, IBCLC
Boston, MA