HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 11:50:28 -0500
D.B,

Dunno about the myth of the dead technicians, but wire booby-traps are very
real and have been found here in the Cleveland National Forest. I once heard a
myth that marijuana farmers planted crops down old logging roads because the
mature old growth forest protected detection from overhead helicopters. I
personally have come across drug drop sites littered with plastic sheet ripped off
tons of pot or coke by the recipients, which for all the world looked like the
kind of site an archaeology survey would record if it were fifty years old.
Perhaps the most intriguing tale is of the house shells allegedly built by drug
manufacturers to camoflauge their chemistry labs, in which the entire house
is an empty shell on bare earth once you walk inside the doors. But really,
these tales are blown out of proportion because they occur once a year or so and
over the course of my 24-year career I have a handful of tales to share.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.