HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Fri, 2 Jan 2004 11:25:06 -0500
Carole,

I suggest you hire a local historian in Detroit to go through the city
directories during the Great Depression and track down the studio that way. You
should not only get the name of the studio, but who worked there, and any artistic
advertisement too. From that info, you can go to the 1920 and 1930 U.S.
Census to develop a profile of the people listed in the directories. I would also
suggest the Great Register of Voters for profile into. The historian could then
check the newspaper index for stories about the studio, obituaries for the
owners and photographers, and any other good stuff. Tracking the names on
Ancestry.com might also produce descendants of the photographer, who might have
biographical info and photos of the people involved. There are other sources, but
you get the point.

Ron May
Legacy 106, Inc.