HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Matthew Sterner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 2003 13:35:09 -0700
Lucy,

May have something right up your alley. You should try to get some
information from the Corps and BLM on the Desert Training
Center/California-Arizona Maneuver Area (DTC-C-AMA). This was a series of
camps in the (mostly) California desert that trained Patton's troops for
combat in North Africa. SRI has recently done some poking around at Camp
Ibis, one of the umpteen camps under the Desert Training Center umbrella.
Occupation was brief, 1942-1944, but the area was intensively used for as
many aspects of tank/troop training as you might imagine.

SRI has also been working at the Barry M Goldwater Range, a tactical Air
Force Training facility established during WWII. We have several draft and
completed reports on historic contexts for that area as well.

Also recently completed a study of a prisoner or war camp in southern
Arizona, if that's of interest.

Feel free to contact me off list if you'd like.  (Am a little swamped right
now, but would be happy to help out as I can.)

Matthew